True or false? Acne is caused by poor hygiene. False!!!
Acne is not caused by being dirty.
Acne is so common – it effects millions of people around the world from teenagers to the more mature. It is a chronic problem, especially for women, and can flare at different stages of one’s life – like during puberty, pregnancy and menopause. It effects self-esteem. It’s so important to know what causes acne and that it is treatable in the right hands.
Acne is a multifactorial inflammatory process which simply means that there are a variety of factors that can combine to create the problem.
- Oil glands in the skin can overproduce oil or sebum and clog the pores.
- The way the skin sheds or keratinizes can be “off” and the extra skin gets sticky, especially with increased oil production, and further clogs pores.
- Skin bacteria, mostly Propionibacterium acnes, growing inside the pores causes inflammation in the skin. This is further flared in the clogged pores.
- Genetics affects acne so if it runs in your family, you are at risk.
- Hormonal fluctuations (excess androgens or testosterone-like hormones) greatly flare acne.
Acne scars should not be treated until your inflammatory acne has cleared. Most red marks fade with time but certain lasers can speed that up. Indentations require more resurfacing lasers and subcision.
Let me know if you want any more information about acne medication and treatment.