What are they? What are they made of? Do I need them? When should I start? What goes where?
Okay, let’s divide injectables into two categories: Neuromodulator Toxins (commonly known by one brand name (of 4) in the category, Botox) and Fillers.
In this blog post, we’ll look at NMTs (Neuromodulator Toxins).
This has changed dramatically over the last 15 years. Not only do we have four brands of Neuromodulator Toxin on the market in the US: Botox®, Dysport®, Xeomin®, Jeveau®, we simply know more. Board certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons have advanced their knowledge of how to use the products discretely on specific physiological locations at various strengths to effect desired outcomes.
- Bunny lines – minimize the diagonal lines on the sides of the bridge of the nose
- Smokers lines – erase these lines that form when your mouth makes a “kissy” face
- Dimpling of the chin – just your lower lip put and watch that chin dimple Just ??? your lip?
- Minimize a gummy smile (my favorite!!!) – relax the ?????? what to do what?
- Masseters* – to relieve TMJ, teeth grinding, and to slim a wide face, relax thes muscles that you feel when you clench your teeth
- Beneath the lower lashes – help open up the eye and make it appear bigger
- Depressor anguli oris – lift up the corners of the mouth by relaxing these muscles we used to frown
- Neck lines and bands (make a face where your lower teeth show and watch those bands pull your face down)
- Armpits, hands, and feet and even scalp (blowtox) – relieve excess sweating
- Correct smile asymmetry – relax the side that’s pulling too much
As you can see this toxin is quite amazing. I recommend planning two (2) visits for your treatment two (2) weeks apart so you can get a “touchup” at the second treatment to correct any asymmetry. We all have one side of our face that is stronger and so that side may need a touchup. Two visits allow us to proceed with care; we can always add more but we can’t take it away if too much was injected.
Once dynamic lines of movement like the “11’s” or forehead lines get etched in the skin (which means they are obvious even when the skin is stretched) , it will take several cycles of treatment to iron it out. It is always better to treat these dynamic lines before they get etched in!